Minutes - January 12th, 2023
Burch Creek Elementary School
Community Council Meeting Mintues
Thursday, January 12th, 2023
Nicole McGarry, Monica Widdison (WSD District DTL), Diane Cooper, Katie Amsden , DJ Frandsen, Tiffanie Frandsen, Jerry Brand, Sharee Brand
Excused: Angela Snowden, Jason Hyde
Monica Widdison presented the WSD digital teaching and learning / CIPA training for parents. She had a slide show and presented the following points:
- Filtering protocol by the district to ensure student internet safety
- BARK for flagging and monitoring students devices, emails and school internet use
- Common Sense Media as a parent resource
- Mrs. Amsden asked the council for permission to amend the current plan from STEM to STEAM since Burch Creek has many “art” opportunities to students it would fit with the school wide plan. Nicole McGarry motioned to amend the current Trustland plan from STEM to STEAM and Sharee Brand seconded the motion
- Voted For - Nicole McGarry, Diane Cooper, Katie Amsden , DJ Frandsen, Tiffanie Frandsen, Jerry Brand, Sharee Brand
- Voted Against - N/A
- Current budget review: $25,349.36 has been spent as of 1.12.23 with $84,890.95 as the total school allocation for the 2022-2023 school year. Monies still need to be transferred for the purchase of Chromebooks and other expenditures to date.
- Discussion about what the council would like to see in the upcoming plan. Ideas are as follows:
- Professional Development for teachers; have professionals “push-into” the classroom and model for teachers rather than the teachers always having to leave their class.
- Curriculum resources for teachers; such as Power Readers and Supercharged Readers; 95% group curriculum and resources, LETRS training
- Substitute teachers for teachers to collaborate and implement new learning.
- Possible robotics or Spheros for students
- Along with the Robotics discussion DJ Frandsen asked if we could explore the possibility of having High School students partner with the Elementary kids and the High School kids could be the mentor/ sponsors for the robotics club. Nicole McGarry also mentioned to look into USU Extension as a resource
- Minutes Review: DJ Frandsen reviewed the minutes from the previous meeting.
- Mrs. Amsden discussed the family night at Bonneville High School and the high attendance from parents and students.
- Next meeting is scheduled for March 2nd.
- Nicole McGarry motioned to adjourn the meeting and DJ Frandsen seconded the motion.
Community Council Members